15 November 2009
1) I think it safe to say that Carlos Boozer is back to his 2007 Playoff status, or just close to it. In his last five games he has gone 16-17, 23-14, 10-2(Boston), 24-12, 25-12. He is on pace for 35 blocks which isn't a lot but he only had seven all of last season.
2) Eric Maynor was/is a great pick up and is fundamentally sound, can pass the ball, and really doesn't let the pressure of the big names get to him. (See video highlight of him taking it to Lebron at the end of the Cavs game). He has the bank shot, tear drop, floater, baby hook, and scoop shot down, Maynor is maybe the first player since Horny with that repertoire of shots.
3) Wes Matthews Jr. is a steal even though he was undrafted, as someone in a tweet to David Locke said the other day, "What were the knocks on this kid coming out of college". I have no clue. He has filled the two position very nicely. At the moment he is the second best player on the team at taking the ball to the rack and he does this with no fear.
4) Memo is Memo and rarely gets up or down for a game however his stats are down so far this year and to this point only has one 20+point game. Last year he had 30, yeah 30 20+ point games including a 43 point outburst against the Indiana Pacers on Jan 12th.
5) D-will is frustrated with the current situation and the losing record. Oh and he is not being shy about it.
6) Jerry Sloan is coaching to win games on a game by game basis. He is doing whatever it takes as far as substitutions to win games knowing that we need them. If the players play Sloan ball we can beat anyone.
7) The Knicks suck. Every time they play I get a little first round draft pick twinkle in my eye.
8 ) No call Paul is getting the shaft from the refs on a regular basis. Because I edit a lot of the game footage, I watch most of the games 2-3 times. I am astounded at some of the non calls being thrown at Paul, not only the non calls, but the calls that are on the fence are falling towards the opposing player regularly. Maybe this happens to other undersized players in the league but I don't watch as many of those games to decide if it is a league wide problem or just a "No Call Paul" problem.
9) This Utah Jazz team can't win a NBA Championship as they are currently constructed. Some of the players on the team can take us there, but as a whole, this team will not do it. I'm not saying this because of how bad the Jazz are but because of how bad we match up with the other teams in the league. We don't have a Center or ultra athletic player playing the four position. LA, SA, BOS, POR, DAL, PHO . We don't have an elite take over the game player DEN, CLE, MIA, ATL, LA,. We don't have one of the top three big men that have or will dominate the league LA, ORL, HOU. The Last time that a team won the a championship with a point guard leading the way is the Pistons with Isiah Thomas. Deron can lead us, but we need a big four, or a dominate center, or a take over the game player to help us on the way to the championship.
10) Tivo is life chaning. 5:30 games are difficult for Jazz fans to watch. I have four kids and generally start the games after they go to bed and catch up by the end. With 5:30 starts I get text messages starting at six going all the way till the kids get down. A lot of people are still at or on their way home for work which hurt the local ratings.
Seven of our next eight games are at home and this could really get us going for the month of Decemeber and the dreaded Christmas road trip.